Monday, January 5, 2009

In need of something green


So obviously not a current photo from my garden here in northern Vermont, but it is a cheery one none the less that thankfully makes spring feel inevitable.  
To me these peas in particular are an important symbol of regeneration as they are one of the plants whose seeds I save and replant.  This cycle I have always thought is very comforting, I don't have to rely on anyone else to offer this variety in order to grow it again next season.

I had piles of peas drying everywhere, all sorted by variety, color, number of peas per pod etc.  I was inspired to try my hand at crossing peas in 2008 by one of my favorite blogs: Daughter of the Soil.  I can't wait to see if any of my crosses took!

I was inspired today to mention seed saving after I read a post by Stuart over at Gardening Tips 'n' Ideas.  He posed the question : Could you garden for 12 months without spending a cent?
My first thought was of course I could, but then I realized that I do have to pay my fee to the Tommy Thompson  community garden, and I need to buy mulch.  Probably I would have to shell out at least $100 for the 2009 season.  That is if I don't buy sets of baby plants, new seeds, tools, extra compost, or stakes.  In 2008 I spent $256.57, yes I kept track (even of the pennies) I was petty curious how much money went in to the garden compared to the amount of veg that came out.  
My second thought was that the aim should be a more permanent self sufficiency, not just a year or two with out cash inputs but a life long garden that is conventionally free.  Maybe I have been living in Vermont too long but to me that feels like the true goal.  Perhaps we should try having  vegetable gardens with out all the stylish tomato equipment, or expensive watering systems.  Could you survive a season with out buying some sexy new garden gadget??? 

 I was very glad to see this question of low input gardening raised in such a public way.  To me it highlights the importance for all of us to look at the things we think we need and reassess every now and again.  

3 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

I love Daughter of the Soil too. It really makes you want to breed your plants just to see what happens.

When I read Stuart's article, I had already bought my seeds for the year (around $45). I do need a little fertilizer and electricity (and brackets) for my growlights. But my resolution for the year is to see how much I spend and see how much I harvest. I've never kept count before. It probably won't be pretty since I'm already buying tools and that costs.

B + S said...

I weighed most of what I harvested and kept track of all the money I spent and the difference was about $500!!! Now had I figured in the hours.... I would have been making pennies an hour. But it is a good feeling knowing that I grew all of those veggies.

Woodland Fay said...

Another follower of Daughter of the Soil here, but I found you through Blotanical. When do you sow your peas in Vermont? As for all those gardening gadgets, many make life only a tad simplier, but our ancestors in their dig for victory gardens designed their own recycled gardening aids, most creatively. I try to follow their lead. Great blogging, look forward to more. Many regards Fay

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs