Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fall harvest

I went down to the garden yesterday and peeked under all the remay and straw.  I found spinach and swiss chard.  The spinach is super dense, the leaves are a really rich green and very thick.  It is tucked in under a light remay.  I used a tomato cage, laid on its side to keep the fabric off the leaves.
  The swiss chard is still hanging on, of the two varieties I planted the fordhook is doing much better than the five color silver beet.  The fordhook is a green chard with white stems, whereas the five color comes up in.... about five colors.  I pick all of those leaf by leaf so that the plant can keep on growing.  The bok choi though I cut out whole.  I had to leave a lot of it in the garden, as there were slugs and snails tucked behind the stems.  
There is also futo negi left, they are the gigantic bunching onions I was given earlier this year.  They grow like chives but are very large, I can't wait for them to spread.   I think they will fall into the hardy catigory, they show up very early in the spring and are one of the last to go in the fall.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that you are still growing such yummy-looking veggies in your climate at this time of year! I am lazy with the remay but live in Seattle where it's milder. Vermont is so cool, we love it there!

tina said...

It looks so good! I surely like those bunching onions. Do they bloom too?

B + S said...

Greenwalks thank you so much for your comment, Vermont is a great place to be! I do end up almost living under remay in late fall and early spring though. Sometimes I wish it were just a little milder in the winter so I could grow things like figs!

The bunching onions were a gift from a Tommy Thompson neighbor so I really don't know what they are. They are so great I shear them off just like chives, they have bloomed but I was told to pop the flowers off. The flowers were small and white not that showy.

Lola said...

Great looking veggies. I liked Vermont--just wish I'd seen more of it while there.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs