Sunday, November 30, 2008

Who knew a turkey could get so big?!

What do you keep in the back of your truck??  
Well the day  before Thanksgiving we had a 23 lb turkey from the Boucher Family Farm, a brining leg of pork in a 5 gallon bucket (see photo), and a box full of veg from the garden.  Quite the photo op at the co-op that morning.  I had forgotten the brown sugar so I had to add it to the pork brine in the parking lot.  I got a few strange looks from fellow shoppers.
 The pork came from our friend Eric at the Rockville Market Farm, he raised the piggies on the left over butternut squash seeds from the farm.  The turkey was a Broad Breasted Bronze, this breed has a richer flavor than the conventional white 'butterball' turkeys.  Yum.  I would love to try a heritage breed next year, has anyone ever tasted one??  23lb sounds huge right?  But the pride and joy at the Boucher's the morning that I picked ours up was a 40lb monster bird.  Woah...

This was the first Thanksgiving I had a major hand in so I tried to make it as special as possible. When I'm home I buy from Vermont farms because they are local, but I chose to bring them with us to Maine because we really are impressed by the flavors of this state.  From poultry to cheese, vegetables to fruits, our farmers make it very easy to eat local here.   Perhaps next year I will research some Maine farms to buy from.  That way we could explore a different bio region and avoid shuttling so much food across New England.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs